Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)
Formerly Yarriambiack Shire Council Home Services
The CHSP is an entry-level home support program that helps older people to live independently in their homes and communities, preventing or delaying the need to move into residential aged care. It also provides respite services so that carers have time off.
The program aims to help the elderly live as independently as possible, by providing a small amount of help to a large amount of people. The focus is to work with, rather than do things for clients, so that they can retain their independence.
Until June 30th 2023, Yarriambiack Shire Council (YSC) provided home support across the Yarriambiack Shire. The Shire has since ceased providing the service, along with many other councils.
YSC has worked closely with Rural Northwest Health (RNH) to maintain the service locally and continue providing support in the community. RNH commenced the program on 1st July 2023, ensuring continued access to home support such as home help, personal care, meals on wheels and other services.
RNH provides these services to the Warracknabeal, Beulah, Brim, and Hopetoun areas.
Accessing This service
Anyone aged over 65 years, or over 50 years for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples, who experience limitations in their ability to live independently and need assistance can access this service.
To do so, contact ‘My Aged Care’ via this link or call 1800 200 422 within the hours 8am to 8pm on Monday – Friday or 10am to 2pm on Saturdays
What services are included?
The CHSP can provide services such as:
- Domestic Assistance
- Personal Care
- Access to the community (Social Support) for individuals, not groups
- Minor Home Modifications and Home Maintenance
How It Works
- Firstly, apply for assistance (details below).
- A meeting is then organised with a local assessment officer.
- Once approved for the program, RNH will receive a referral from My Aged Care.
- Your support will commence when there is a vacancy in the program. This usually does not take long.
- Once receiving services, if your needs change and you wish to remain living in the community, RNH can refer you for an increased level of community support.
- RNH will continue to support you while you wait for a higher level of support.
- If you receive a higher level of support, RNH can continue to remain involved in your care at your request.
The RNH Home Support Program includes a Coordinator, Assistant Coordinator and a wonderful team of support workers who visit you at home to assist you.
RNH Meals on Wheels are delivered by volunteers and staff.
RNH also contract specialist services such as handymen to help with minor home maintenance or modifications.
Fees and Charges
Fees apply but remain low due to Commonwealth Government subsidies. They can range from $6 to $13 per hour. If you are concerned about your fee, please contact the program on the number below
How To Apply
- You can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422, between the hours of 8am to 8pm on Monday – Friday or 10am to 2pm on Saturdays.
- You can apply for an assessment online with My Aged Care via this link.
- A family member or neighbour can contact My Aged Care for you
- You can talk to your local GP or District Nurse who can also assist you.
If you would like to contact RNH, you can call the Program Coordinator on 5396 1244.
If there is no answer, please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.